SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
England assistance?
Posted by: john fehn (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2005 08:11AM

<HTML>Greetings everyone: My dreams of building some sort of steam machine after retirement are turning to dust. I have tried for about a year to locate some hydraulic cylinders here in Hungary to convert to steam and have failed. Places that repair farm machinery only have larger sizes (I need 2 inch dia. piston by 12 inch throw) and I have found no other source. Northern tool in the USA
(A: will not accept my credit card even after having acquired a brand new one just for them, which works perfectly well elsewhere, and
(B: will only ship by air express, costing me about $300 just for shipping! Ridiculous. I suppose I could try elsewhere in the USA but
(A: it's a long way away to ship something by any which means, and
(B: many companies in the US won't even ship outside the USA at all (Amazon.com for instance). So I thought maybe I could find some store on the internet in an English speaking country closer the Hungary. I did find a half dozen businesses in England which all had email links. So I emailed them all a couple weeks back and did not receive even one reply! So now I just don't know what to think. If anyone knows of an English company that might sell hydraulic cylinders and has their catalogue on the web, I would be ever so grateful to hear about it. Thanks a million everyone.

John Féhn
Hungary</HTML>

Re: England assistance?
Posted by: Ken (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2005 12:29PM

<HTML>Hi John:

Have you considered having a local machine shop just bore a hole in a piece of round stock on a lathe? A 50 mm reamer would be pretty close to that 2 inch diameter, and you should be able to find piston rings in that size, I would think. That should be pretty cheap, just an hour or so labor and a few bucks for the metal. An auto parts store can sell you a small hone for a few bucks to polish out the bore. You might also look at heavier wall pipe and have it reamed true and then hone it, if pressures are within tolerance.

Regards,

Ken</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2005 01:43PM

<HTML>Hello, John ,,I here on the east coast of USA,, I know next to nothing of commerce or trading and available products in Europe,,here are a few random thoughts to help discussion [ maybee] ,, A friend had a company in Germany make high quality,[ spun cast I think] cylender liners for a rare car,,this about 5 years ago,, Hearing stories of the Clayton-Shuttleworth tractor,,I think good parts should be able to be made locally there? John, are you near a large city, are the machine shops in the city or outside, in the country,,Is the border open for shipping to/from Poland,,Poland should have goods to ship,,,the best AND cheepest small toolboxes that I sold at my old shop were from Poland but I could never find the wholesaler,,They also made a YERY high quality machinest square,and I still treasure it, How fer away is Poland? ,XXX Now , if you care to share with us more specific of your project,,,It seems to me 2'' x 12'' is a very long stroke built for low speed and hi torque, are you planing to put crank as wheel axle, no gearing,,will work but not efficient,,but if you use cheep fuel,it wont matter,,,My perception is that fuel is more expensive there than here,,If the pressure is low and lubrication not a problem,,a piece of discard/ left over/ boiler tubing/steel would probably work,,turm a flange for the ends and braze it on,,,a small charcoal fire in a junk wash pan would do for the fire pit,,What do people use there for house heating now,,,what fuels are in easy supply,,XXX Do you know of anyone going to the International Piano competition in Prague CZ, this? week,,If there may be any pianos being shipped,,would indicate a shipping lane open for other heavy stuff,,,I can see it now,,,2'' steel legs on a grand piano,,,, I think speaking English to be no advantage in a Budaphest machine shop,,your area shound have a supply,,its just to find it,,Oh yes the CZ made a very good chain for the motorcycle,and in inch size,,wow,,But I couldn't find how to get METRIC chain,,thats still a problem,,,,,mmm hey,,can the Hungarians understand the Checz ?? Maybee you can find some new chain for the early car I have here,, we have been hunting chain for a year,,,well thats long enough for now,,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: June 16, 2005 06:56PM

<HTML>Ben in Maine: specify your chain size and i'll keep my eyes open. the 'Jawa' moped is made in Czech and is quite popular here.
the Czech language and Hungarian are not similar at all but German is not unusual in both countries as it is the most common second language around these parts with English gaining fast with the youngsters. all European languages except Hungarian and Finnish started out in India thousands of years ago (hence, indo-European languages). Finnish and Hungarian started out in the Ural mountains (now Russia) so are basically different.
----------------------------
The steam project background: Back in January i started a thread on the 'steamautomobile.com’ forum called 'Off the shelf steam valves: ' the upshot of that thread i've repeated here, since someone asked. i already happen to have a steam boiler from a 15 foot steamboat which uses wood fuel (so i‘ve kind of got to use it, even though doing so doesn‘t exactly fit the overall philosophy of this project). if i must go to a non-native-English-speaking country looking for cylinders, Austria, which borders Hungary would be best as i speak just a little German, but finding something in England (English) would be WAY preferable.

Off the shelf steam valves:
Posted by: john f.
Date: January 4, 2005 04:12AM

I'm toying with the idea of creating a small steam engine to power an auto alternator to charge car batteries. the reason for the steam/electric system is that i am absolutely sure that i don’t have the ability to build a boiler control system that can manage the constantly changing power requirements of an automobile. having the battery buffer moderates everything.
another important issue with me is to use just as much off-the-shelf components as is humanly possible, even if they don't work particularly well. Just so they work well enough to function at all.
So, for my first attempt I'd like to attach two hydraulic cylinders (the steam pistons) to the peddles of a bike and connect the alternator to the bike rear wheel by a "v" belt (fan belt). The best idea I have for off-the-shelf steam valves is quarter turn ball valves.
Something I miss with steam cars, is that the engine is not visible. When a Stanley Steamer drives by, most people will say, ” look at the beautiful old car”, completely oblivious to the interesting technology involved. So one of my goals is to put an adequately large, slow moving steam engine up front in the vehicle where it can be easily seen by the vehicle occupants and surrounding viewers. And it should idle when not being driven for the sake of being easily seen in action, even when parked, as opposed to steam locomotives for instance. And exhaust steam issuing directly from the cylinders might add a little drama.
The object of all this of course, is that it should be intuitively obvious, that this is, above all, a real, genuine, honest-to-god, huffing, puffing STEAM machine. And the little kids hopefully will marvel in awe. And that’s a good thing, because they are tomorrow’s steamers.
And with that in mind, another object of this project has to do with the future of the steam hobby. It needs new young enlistees.
On the surface, this shouldn’t be too hard. If the machinery is large enough, it can be dangerous to stick your fingers into and play with. And boilers have been known to blow up. And of course in order to make it go, it’s necessary to play with fire. And if there is anything that is attractive to young men, it’s fire and danger. That’s a given.
However, a real drawback to virtually all steam projects presently, is that they require a machine shop (and on a fairly constant basis) and very, very few young people have this. I feel it would be very useful to try to reach out to a much larger segment of the young population than just those that happen to have the use of machine shops. i've read that only 2% of young people have access to machine shops, so the percentage increase in young people that could be actively exposed to the fun of steam might increase by as much as 50 times if a machine shop is not, or only slightly, needed. Well worth a try. Hence, lots of off-the-shelf stuff, even if imperfect.
About hydraulic cylinders:
I’ve read somewhere that hydraulic cylinders can be ordered with special high temp seals but I don’t have numbers. I would think that hydraulic fluid being pushed back and forth in a ‘steam shovel’ without circulation, lifting tons of earth continuously for hours, could get pretty warm. Neoprene is a pretty common ’O’ ring material and when I experimented with a soldering iron, neoprene started charring at somewhere around 400 degrees F. I don’t intend using steam over 350 degrees so maybe there’s hope, at least in the short run.

John Féhn
Hungary</HTML>

Date: June 16, 2005 08:51PM

<HTML>Hi John,,,I found the Czech warehouse in New York to be most helpful,,and faster to respond than the English in Baltimore,,,they needed the money to send goods back home,,The chain was very good by my actual test,,Bill's sidecar w/spinning tyre most of the time,,,I sold the chain and was accused of selling communist chain,,the guys on the street couldnt make the connection of the front page, tanks in the streets of Prague only a short time before,and the vallient fight to defend their homes,,so sad ,, while congress set a date to debate the issue,,it was over and quickley forgottn ,I couldn't believe it,,so I took the chain out of the box and sold it in the wax shipping paper,,,The chain I need is 1,25'' pitch[pin to pin] 3/4 inch [.75''] roll diam but narrow,,5/8''wide [.625] width on roller,,The common chain is .750 wide[3/4''] ,, This for the 1000 CID racing 1906 Locomobile,,,yes its 4 cyl,, 7.25''x 6'' ok ok its only 987'' but when ya crank it ,can ya tell haha,,,20-30 feet// =10meters length price is not the problem its finding it,,,I prefer not to change the sprockets,if I can avoid it,,, Ask the Jawa boys if they can get names of hardware supliers,,, If there is any hope of trade w/ Poland I will see if any of my contacts are still alive,,,xxxx I have driven the Stanley racer to lunch many times,,and have always been amazed that the kids recognised it as a steamer,,,there is no name on the front of the hood,, but somehow it still had its identity,,their concept of operation was sketchy,,but they had a idea if the basic physics envolved,,,If you keep the pressure around 250psi,,no superheat,,yoy can get away with very lo tech equipment,, All for now,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold walker (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2005 09:55PM

<HTML>It is ironic ,that you can't find a machine shop.........and locally if a machine shop hires a foriegner .....they are Ukrane,Poland and CZ.
It was a little of a problem with languages,but once they see the shop prints. Most workers are hard pressed to match the quiality of the Soviet block guys.
Garret in Arizona hired a bunch of them for years(cheap labor and min. training required),then about two or three years back.
They opened a 731turbine plant in China to get even cheaper labor....a major recall and law suits(wrong oil used on assembly,mainly....),looks like some of that stuff might come back to Arizona.

The Soviet block guys usually have "old German" machinist work values and methods.And a heck of lot cheaper than Germans as well on the work they do.</HTML>

Posted by: Brian McMorran (IP Logged)
Date: June 16, 2005 10:58PM

<HTML>Hi John
Try >www.steerforth.co.uk<
A catalogue can be ordered online however unsure about minimum order lengths. Similar companies exist all over Europe manufacturing cylinders for farm, forest and truck equipement.
Why not try and purchase some old cylinders from a breaker? Inch sizes are uncommon but 40, 50 and 60mm sizes are standard on farm machinery.

Beware of hydraulic seals for high temperature use. These can contain Viton which becomes highly dangerous if charred. Skin ulcers, cancer etc.

From
Bonny Scotland</HTML>

Date: June 17, 2005 02:04AM

<HTML>Hi Brian ,,,Thanks for the warning on Viton,,,Triumph used these seals[ o-ring] on the pushrod tubes in late '60s and heat cooks em in time,,,Hmm wonder about that litle scab on my hand,,doc says its O-K,,,Oh well Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: June 17, 2005 12:45PM

<HTML>Ben in Maine: well, i noted your chain dimensions in my pocket notebook but to tell you the truth i strongly suspect that finding this item with non-metric dimensions would be more likely in the USA rather than Europe. in fact just asking about this non-metric item here in Europe would be difficult. the only place i can think of outside the USA where you're likely to find this non-metric chain is possibly in the UK. there seems to be some sites found by going to:
www.google.co.uk
then search for "roller chain". good luck.
---------------
Brian McMorran: thanks a lot. the Steerforth site looks promising. the catalogue link didn’t work but i emailed them and asked for a catalog. so here’s hoping.
---------------
John Féhn
Hungary</HTML>

Posted by: George (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2005 01:28PM

<HTML>John,
You might try the Surplus Center in Nebraska USA, they may ship worldwide and are a big source of inexpensive air and hydraulic cylinders plus lots of other really good stuff. You can visit them on the web at <www.surpluscenter.com> .
Good luck, George</HTML>

Date: June 17, 2005 01:29PM

<HTML>John,
Sorry, for some reason the [www.surpluscenter.com] did not go along with the message.</HTML>

Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2005 09:32PM

<HTML>Thanks George; I had ordered from these guys way back when but forgot about them. Great parts source. Clickable version (hopefully) is

[www.surpluscenter.com]

Peter</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2005 09:45PM

<HTML>Ben,

Don't know if these people are any use but this post re chains just came up today on the UK Vintage Sports Car Club forum. Try emailing them. If no success let me know and I will phone for you.

"Try Sprockets Unlimited, they are at Evesham but callers are by appointment so I guess it is a part time business.
I came accross them at the Newark Autojumble and took their card.
Their telephone number is (44) 1386 831341 or email astrosprox@btinternet.co"

Mike</HTML>

Posted by: Simon Cast (IP Logged)
Date: June 18, 2005 03:16PM

<HTML>Hi John

if you are interested in building a steam project why not take a look at the Modelworks website
www.modelworks-int.com
I am sure we have something that you would enjoy enormously building.
Cheers
Simon Cast Modelworks</HTML>

Posted by: Brian McMorran (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2005 06:50PM

<HTML>John
Another thought, if you look at the 'Ebay Auction' post from EARL C. LEAVEY, JR., it shows an engine built from industrial hydraulic or pneumatic cylinders. If there is a printing works or cardboard packaging factory close to you they should have various sizes available. Recommend making new pistons to accept rings and fabricate a simple gland packing in place of the rod seal.

Brian</HTML>

Date: June 22, 2005 08:29PM

<HTML>And please calculate all strains ,,,esp the 4 tiny thread rods holding it together,,much of this seems out of scale ,,,, Ben</HTML>

Date: June 23, 2005 02:02AM

<HTML>George: thanks so much for the tip about the surplus center. they tell me that they are shipping out my cylinders now. thanks so much for everyone’s help and advice.

John Féhn
Hungary</HTML>

Date: June 23, 2005 02:06AM

<HTML>good thought Ben, but no problem. the cylinders i am ordering are meant for use at two thousand five hundred pounds pressure. i will be using around 150 pounds max., normally less.

John Féhn
Hungary</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2005 03:44AM

<HTML>Dear John, Ben's point is very valid. It is not just the bursting pressure of the cylinders that is so criticle, but all parts that hold the engine together and help it function. in example: Stanley engine frame rods keep the cylinders the correct distance from its crankshaft and they need to be beefy. On and on. The steam engine on eBay is mostly built just for a table top display. In real use, I am sure that under a heavy load in a car, it would not last an hour. A person could get hurt from flying parts.</HTML>

Date: June 23, 2005 10:45AM

<HTML>SSsssteamer.: interesting observation, but actually it looked to me like the ebay engine was incredibly beefy for the most part. what i noticed right off though was the small diameter of the chain sprocket. the chain tensile load will be tremendous and might break the chain, actually something i may have to worry about myself.
hmmm. looking at it more closely, a welded crankshaft might be iffy.
of less importance is that it appears that the crank throw is quite a bit shorter than the piston throw, workable but less than ideal.</HTML>

Date: June 23, 2005 11:15AM

<HTML>Amongst, the problems,,,The D valve gear will absorb 20--25 percent of engine output,,and that tiny stevenson link just looks small ,, The cylender ends look about 3 times too big, all out of scale ,, The plain rod bearings will have problems at low speed and hi torque,,All says this is a low pressure engine,,not anywhere close to 600 pounds/ ' inch ,, Now the Stanley design doesn't look so bad,,,,,Just an old mans opinion,,,Ben</HTML>

Date: June 27, 2005 10:29AM

<HTML>I am told that my cylinders have been shipped, so the object of this thread has been accomplished. thanks to everyone. for those with further interest in this project, see "off the shelf steam project" at www.steamautomobile.com

john fehn
hungary</HTML>

Date: July 13, 2005 07:30AM

<HTML>hello george: just wanted to thank you again for the Surplus Center advice. my cylinders arrived today and i'm all happy to have something real to start playing with at last. tks again.

John Féhn
Budapest</HTML>

Date: July 14, 2005 05:40PM

<HTML>John,
You are most welcome and thank you! I have used them for over 20 years with great pleasure. You can call there technical service to get more information than provided in the catalog for specific items, I find doing this for many of their 12VDC motors and very other items helpfull in making a buying decision. They really are a great source.

Best on your project, George</HTML>

Date: August 10, 2005 06:48AM

<HTML>Two months later and steerforth never sent me a catalogue or answered at all, so i'm batting 100% for no english company ever answering my requests for information. very strange. now if i were a conspiracist...

John Féhn
Hungary</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.