SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Source for "V" Condenser Cores
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2005 12:29AM

<HTML>I need to replace the “V” core in my 1917 Stanley. I know there are several companies that make “cartridge” cores that are similar to the original core. There are two V condenser cars that I am familiar with that have had the condenser cores replaced with a cartridge type core. The problem with the cartridge cores is 1) they are very expensive and 2) they don’t hold up well in service. The cars that I have observed with the new cores have developed leaks. What I would like to do is find a company that could build a tube and fin type core in the proper V configuration for a Stanley. I have contacted several companies that build custom cores but so far none of them will tackle the job of building a V shaped core. Does anyone know of a company that might take on such a job at a realistic cost?

Pictures and dimensions of the condenser are located at this link:
[steamingdownsouth.com]

ASW</HTML>

Re: Source for &quot;V&quot; Condenser Cores
Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2005 02:38PM

<HTML>Alan,
Your assumptions about cartridge core condensers is quite correct. The air path through the old Stanley core is parallel to the car's forward motion. Today you would get one with the air path at an angle.

They are very expensive to make, considering that you have to assemble the core in a strong frame, and then dip solder the ends. The core alone for Doble E-23, a flat one, cost $3,000.00 from Marston in England. They are now out of business.
They are not physically strong in regards vibration and leaking, and are the very devil to repair.

Also, and quite important, the spaces between the tubes has to be much larger than the same type of core for an antique gas car. This means the maker has to come up with swedging die to expand the ends.
When Harrahs restored Doble E-24, and in spite of repeated warnings, they used their regular gas car honeycomb tubes. The car blows steam out the condenser relief valve at 45 mph, and the car gets the same water milage as a Stanley if you are lucky.

Authenticity is fine if you can afford it. Quite frankly, I would go ahead and use fin and tube and let the air path be at an angle, and live with it.
JC</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.