SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
High temperature sealant and anti-sieze
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2005 08:12PM

<HTML>I am looking for a high temperature sealant and an anti-sieze that can be used for the plumbing of steam in a Stanley steamer. Years ago they used red lead and that worked fine, but it is not longer available. Today we have Permatex number 2 and Teflon tape but neither one will take the high heat of steam (450 degrees F.). I have been using a copper colored "Caterpillar High Temperature Anti-sieze" and it works fine as an anti-sieze, but it is not a sealant. What is available that is the answer for both the high heat and as a pipe fitting sealant?</HTML>

Re: High temperature sealant and anti-sieze
Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: July 03, 2005 09:15PM

<HTML>Hi Pat
I have been using Pro dope made by Hercules Chemical Co, Inc.
800-221-9330
[www.herchem.com]
info@herchem.com

Description:
Usage: Pro Dope is a LEAD-FREE, no-drip, no-spill pipe joint compound made for metal pipe and valves carrying natural gas, water, air, steam, ammonia, dilute acids and alkalis. Non-Toxic. No mixing, will not harden, absolutely uniform throughout can. Lubricates as it forms a tight pressure seal. Inhibits rust and corrosion. Wipes clean from hands. Approved for natural gas.Not for use on plastic threads

I have had no problem piping up my car or boats. They have one to 500F

[www.herchem.com]

Rolly</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2005 05:18AM

<HTML>Thank you Rolly. I will purchase some.

SSsssteamer</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2005 11:10AM

<HTML>Hi,,Does anyone in England know if the red [ grade/color] of stuff called HERMATITE is still available,,,I got it years ago through motorcycle supliers,,It was really good,,or has it gone the way of the good chain greese,Linklife,made by Edward Joy co These both had no equal,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: July 04, 2005 08:59PM

<HTML>Yes Ben - red Hermatite is still around but more difficult to find than before. Particularly just now as apparently the company changed owners recently and needs to get its marketing sorted out. Red Hermatite is good for threads like cylinder head studs into cylinder block, sealing them but letting them unscrew easily when needed and also for general purpose joint sealing. I expect the various versions of Loctite and silicone sealants have taken this market.

There is also a Green version which is shellac based by the smell of it and sets permananently - this is good for steam joints but now seems impossible to find - however there is an alternative called Heldite which seems to be the same stuff. There's a UK address on the SCCGB Information Board.

Mike</HTML>

Posted by: Andy Patterson (IP Logged)
Date: July 07, 2005 04:00PM

<HTML>Hi Ben

Don't know what type of chain lube you are looking for but I have had great success with the teflon emulsion types of chain lube sold in bicycle shops. Used on mine for several years. Run through streams that were over my wheels and lube stayed on the chain just great. There are several brands. They all seam about the same. I also have used LPS-1 a lot. LPS-1 is a non-grease lubracannt. It is a good rust preventive. I used LPS-1 more as a cleaner and for storage. After a ride LPS-1 to clean and protest from rust. I don't remember the name of the teflon types. The LPS-1 comes in a spray can. Good for blasting dirt and debre out of chain after ride. The teflon chain lube used when riding.

Andy</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.