SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Bryan Steam car engine on eBay
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 10, 2005 02:47PM

<HTML>There is a Bryan Steam car engine up for auction on eBay at [cgi.ebay.com] Its last day is Aug 17, 2005. Located in California.</HTML>

Re: Bryan Steam car engine on eBay
Date: August 19, 2005 04:58AM

<HTML>The seller pulled the engine from the eBay auction. It did not meet his reserve.</HTML>

Date: August 19, 2005 02:21PM

<HTML>I was just told that the engine did meet reserve, but the seller still pulled it. A bad deal.</HTML>

Posted by: Kevin Harpham (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2005 10:40AM

<HTML>The engine had a $5000. bid in on it. Did the seller suddenly think it was worth more? What do you think the engine is worth Pat?</HTML>

Date: August 20, 2005 03:26PM

<HTML>Kevin, The Bryan engine looked to be in excellent condition. As a guess, it should have been worth between $7,000 to $10,000. If the seller had let the last minute bid to be placed, he could have possibly seen the $10,000 price tag reached. The Bryan piston valve engine is the engine of choice for the Vanderbilt Cup Racer builders. If anyone knows of a Bryan engine available, Jerry Hackett needs an engine for his Bryan steam car. Jerry owns the sole survivor Bryan and his Bryan engine is missing.</HTML>

Posted by: chuk williams (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2005 08:11PM

<HTML>Hey-

I thought I read somewhere that the Bryan cars
originally were all built using Stanley 20 HP engines-no?
Whatever the reason-I think it's a real shame that
the seller pulled the engine on the last day of the auction.....

Cheers--Chuk</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: August 20, 2005 10:12PM

<HTML>Bryan is more like a 20hp on steriods....More beef in all the right places and better breathing thru the valves.</HTML>

Date: August 21, 2005 03:15AM

<HTML>Only a half dozen Bryan Steam cars were built from 1918-1923. Only Bryan engines were installed in Bryan Steam cars. George A. Bryan's main business was selling a steam tractor of about the size of a Fordson tractor. The Bryan Harverster company (1916-1925) became the Bryan Steam Corporation in 1925. George found that his line of home heating plants were his bread and butter. Sounds like the same story of Hartly Baker and his Baker steam car. Steam plants became Hartly's future too. During WWI, Stanley was very successful selling steam hot water plants to the U.S. Government for shower heating. Maybe if Stanley could have followed the example of Bryan, Stanley could still be in business today selling their steam plants too.</HTML>

Posted by: Roland Evans (IP Logged)
Date: August 21, 2005 10:56AM

<HTML>Pat
Jerry’s Bryan steam car has a Stanley engine and rear end, but has a Bryan boiler in it. The boiler is not quite the same as in the tractor but very similar. Jerry has a Bryan engine; it’s been in my shop for the last two years. It has a sprocket on the crank instead of the gear;
I was drawing 3-D drawings of the cylinder block. I got side tracked on the project when I got hung up on the steam ports. Chuck Williams had a bad block that we cut in half to measure the ports and passages. Its time I finished the drawings.
Rolly</HTML>

Rolly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.