SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stanley 735? on Ebay
Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2005 10:25AM

<HTML>Looks like a Stanley 735 running chasis on blocks up for auction on Ebay.</HTML>

Re: Stanley 735? on Ebay
Posted by: Bill Gatlin (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2005 01:02AM

<HTML>I asked them about it . It is located in Alpine Texas and they don't know it's history.</HTML>

Posted by: Graeme Vagg (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2005 04:51AM

<HTML>Does anyone know if the chassis and axle parts in the package are matched Stanley items applicable to the engine for period of manufacture? To make a viable restoration they do not need to be from the same vehicle. It looks like a fair starting point to me and it should be restored rather than used for spares for something else.

How many would like to take this one on as a project?

Graeme</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2005 07:12AM

<HTML>Found at [cgi.ebay.com] It could be a basis from which to build a modern steam car on.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: August 25, 2005 01:41PM

<HTML>The rear springs suggest it could be a 750,,,or a SV ,,,,Is that a bend in front of the rear spring hanger??,,,Mure photos are needed to make any valid conclusion,,,at least thats my view,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 28, 2005 02:59AM

<HTML>It looks to have a reversing lever to the right of the parking brake like the SV. The engine and rear axle are not SV but of the earlier 740 style. The rear spring hangers are of the 750 and the later SV type. Does it have the later SV front wheel brakes too? We know that it is not a model 735 or the model 740. Any better guesses out there?</HTML>

Posted by: Woodyjr (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 04:59AM

<HTML>The big question......Is it a good project car, therefore, worthe bidding on?</HTML>

Posted by: ArnoldWalker (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:23AM

<HTML>Isn't an SV ,a Touring car version of a four door pickup.
The only SV pictures I remember seeing seemed to have a tiny bed or something in the back.</HTML>

Posted by: Arnold Walker (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:37AM

<HTML>Woody,
That would a be hard question to answer.
Given the number of pictures or info from the owner.
And that some of the guys are driving stuff now. That started out in a condition far worse ,than what you see rolling down the road.

I suspect that the other guys here...are more on track with originals of this vehicle.than the owner.Though what records,pictures,etc.....he had.Might
indeed answer your question somewhat.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 11:58AM

<HTML>That was/is a S-V,, which had a Babcock sedan body...The body had a destroed roof area,,The body had been sawd in half ,,, the doors ok I think,,,Walter realized the difficulty to restore it as a sedan,, so he used the rear section and shortened it to a pickup truck,,,,Walter is to be congratulated to get such a project finnished,,,Babcock I believe is the car company that made electric cars in the early days,,but not positive,If anyone has info on Babcock bodies,,,please open a new topic,, We would love to know more,,, ,,Rauch-Lang also built Stanley bodies around 1923,,,called RAWLANG,,,,I am fairly sure of this as I have the tag,,,Its under the seat,,,haha ,,,There are just a few S-V cars left,,Carl had a nice touring,,,,oh yes,,Walt saved the pieces so later it would be possible to restore his car back to sedan status,,,S-V stands for Steam Vehicle of America,,, the name the old Stanley company used under the reorganization ,, trying to stay alive,,S-V cars still have the old badge on the condenser as the 735--740 But the plate on the passenger side of the firewall says Steam Vehicle of America,,,Hope this helps R/E e/bay that appears to not have a steering collum,,more pics are needed Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 01:38PM

<HTML>Depends on the scope of the project. The only question is where or when will the next opportunity appear to own a 20 Hp engine and rear end and other bits which can and are being transformed into all kinds of replicas.

A 20 hp engine alone recently sold for more then the current bid for all that you can see.

It would be nice to see this stay on this side of the pond as it appears to be headed for the UK!</HTML>

Posted by: Rolly (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 04:12PM

<HTML>The engine and rear end are worth at least $6000.00 even if the exposed valve and piston rods are pitted, a rebuild is probable in order anyway.</HTML>

Rolly

Posted by: John (IP Logged)
Date: August 30, 2005 04:55PM

<HTML>Hello Everyone,
Here are some more details about the steam car. We can send pictures to people's e-mail if you are interested. Looking in the crank case, it is not rusted, everything is coated with old oil. The brakes appear to be complete with the bands on the outside including levers etc... The internal brakes are still intact. The motor is complete, it turns over, it has original water injector pumps, and oil injector pumps. We have many many pictures.
thank you for your interest.
-John</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.