SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Steam Car cataloge
Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: September 05, 2005 05:09AM

<HTML>A Steam Car Components and Accessories cataloge for the Mann Manufacturing and Restoration company sold on Ebay Item No. 4572023339.
Does anyone know who this company was and when they operated?
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz</HTML>

Re: Steam Car cataloge
Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: September 08, 2005 02:19PM

<HTML>Richard Mann was the person behind this company. I have his catalog and purchased a burner from him in the early 70's for a 1910, 10Hp Stanley.

If memory serves me right, he was a friend of Herb Ottaway, who was an engineer for Colman and a stem car owner in the 60’s and 70’s. Colman produced, among other things, gas fired camp stoves. Herb designed what are referred to as "Ottaway" style burners that uses a Colman stove generators as part or its pilot.

Mann Manufacturing and Restoration produced and sold these burners which steam extremely well but howl like non other. They are of high quality S.S. steel construction with a drilled stainless grate and well sealed vapor chamber below. Mine has been trouble free for 35 years, although the Colman generators are getting hard to find.

The company also made fire tube boilers of all sizes and other steam fittings, with a focus on early Locomobile, Mobile, and Toledo steam buggy parts such as S.S. air and pressurized fuel tanks, water tanks, steam automatics, and throttles. He also had a component rebuilding services, including complete car restoration and manufactured wooden bodies for Locomobile cars at very reasonable prices.

I spoke to him last year and would guess that he has not been active for the last 15-20 years.

Hope this helps!</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: September 09, 2005 11:12PM

<HTML>Thanks Howard
That was exactly what I wanted to know.
Cheers
Mark</HTML>

Posted by: carl (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:41AM

<HTML>I need car cataloge for collection, coul you please send me to the aove email?
Thanks a lot</HTML>

Posted by: Car (IP Logged)
Date: November 08, 2005 03:01PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.