SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dick Vennerbeck on Discovery Channel
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: October 09, 2005 10:06PM

<HTML>Dick Vennerbeck just sent me a heads up that the Discovery Channel showing of their "Monster Garage" built steam boat will be:

Mon, Nov 7, 2005 at 6:00 PM

Mon, Nov 7, 2005 at 9:00 PM

Tue, Nov 8, 2005 at 2:00 AM

Tue, Nov 8, 2005 at 8:00 AM

Wed, Nov 9, 2005 at 1:00 PM

I heard that their 1964 Chris Craft 18 foot steam boat has already been raced in competition against other "seasoned" steam boats and it placed very well for it's first time out.

The next challenge for the "Monster Garage" is to built a steam car, right?

SSsssteamer</HTML>

Re: Dick Vennerbeck on Discovery Channel
Date: October 10, 2005 03:36PM

<HTML>Dick Writes: My Mistake.

The Monster garage Steamboat Episode is actually October 24th.
The November date was for Canada....whoops.
[dsc.discovery.com]

Dick</HTML>

Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2005 01:30AM

<HTML>Dick,
I just got around to viewing the Monster Garage Steam boat. That is the first Monster Garage episode that was really good. Watching the build was fun and then it looked y'all had some fun with the boat. It was nice to see a group of guys who knew what they were doing. I guess this time Jesse was relying on his build team experts to make it happen.

Congratulations on a great effort. It was good to see real steam on prime time TV.

Alan</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2005 07:45PM

<HTML>For those of use who have to wait for the episodes to turn up at the whim of our broadcasters could someone please give out a bit of a summary. I'd love to know what boiler and engine were used / fabricated and who of the usual suspects were on the build.

Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

way down here in New Zealand</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2005 07:45PM

<HTML>For those of use who have to wait for the episodes to turn up at the whim of our broadcasters could someone please give out a bit of a summary. I'd love to know what boiler and engine were used / fabricated and who of the usual suspects were on the build.

Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

way down here in New Zealand</HTML>

Date: November 03, 2005 06:07AM

<HTML>A great show. Good PR for the steam hobby. Dick Venerbeck and Robert Dessert were the only ones that I knew personally. The motorcycle builder is on Monster garage all the time. There was a "fruit cake" there that shouldn't have been since he didn't have anything creative to add to the show but his lipstick and his breast implants. (Really) The steam boat was a better topic. A wood hull used from a 20 ' Chris Craft. Dick Vennerbeck's bottled framed engine that I didn't expect it to perform as well as it did. A verticle fire tubed boiler fired by coal, built and tested on the show. A 2 to 1 step up drive for the prop got the boat almost up on a plane. And an excellent paint job made the boat look fantastic. I enjoyed the steam boat race the most. Good looking Stanley cars were shown too. Dick's green 1910 Stanley model 60 and Bud Leutza's red 1910 Stanley Model 70 were hits of the show too.

We need more steam shows like this one!</HTML>

Posted by: mark stacey (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2005 07:42PM

<HTML>Thanks to all who replied. I'm now hopeful I'll see the show soon as the local broadcaster seems to have leap ahead. The Flying Panoz is showing tonight so theoretically the steam boat will be on soon.
Thanks to Dick for the direct link to the show summary
Cheers
Mark Stacey

[dsc.discovery.com];

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.