SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
735 Design Change - When ?
Posted by: Ian Vinton (IP Logged)
Date: November 02, 2005 09:25PM

<HTML>There are several steps between the various versions of the 735 one is changing from the V condensor cover to the flat one which happened from what car onwards ?
The other, the one I am interested in, is the change in the fuel tank location. At some serial number of the 735 the pilot tank was relocated to the combined tank at the rear of the car, it was replaced from under the front seats with an air reservoir tank. From what car, serial number, did this change happen ?
Does anybody know of a car that had a flat condensor in Brass, like the V nose cars ??</HTML>

Re: 735 Design Change - When ?
Posted by: Alan Woolf (IP Logged)
Date: November 03, 2005 01:12AM

<HTML>Ian,
The condensers on the 1915-17 720 and 730 series cars were brass and copper construction and painted. After the change to the 735 series for a short time there were some cars built that had a brass V shaped condenser core but I believe it was a separate brass shell over the condenser core. I have seen a couple of early 735 cars with that style of condenser. After that Stanley adopted the flat condensers.

For a picture check this link:
[steamingdownsouth.com]

Alan</HTML>

Re: 735 Design Change - When ?
Posted by: Arnoud Carp (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2005 08:27PM

<HTML>The V shaped condensers came in at least two different forms first was a V shaped core in honeycomb construction later ones had a flat tubular core behind a V-shaped shell I presume these condensers were almost identical to the later flat condensers but for the extra connection in the top to fit the safetyvalve.
as on the dates things changed I think a lot is obscured by later changes of the condenser I list a few I know in Europe.
Martin Werbeck #18033 has the honeycomb V-condenser
Nigel Hollis #18355 has the honeycomb V-condenser
Brian Smallwood #19029 has the fat core behind a V shell
Jan Brinksma #19199 has the fat core behind a V shell
Bob Bruin #18351 has a flat condenser
Heiner Roessler #19255 has a flat condenser
I myself #21135 have a flat condenser (on a 1918 body)
Good luck
Arnoud Carp</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.