SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
APELCO generator
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: December 06, 2005 06:06PM

<HTML>My 1916 Stanley uses an APELCO generator. APELCO stands for Apple Electric Company. The Amp meter shows no more than an "on" or "off "whether or not it is generating. My question is: The amp meter has four terminals on it's back side. What wires go to these terminals? And in which order? Near as I can tell from a quick look, they would be looking from the firewall side clockwise, Upper left terminal: nothing? Upper right terminal: ground?, Lower right: battery? Lower left: Generator? Please straighten me out. I do not want to short anything out and ruin it.</HTML>

Re: APELCO generator
Date: December 24, 2005 05:42PM

<HTML>Help, I am still looking for where to put which wires on the ON/OFF charging gauge. Please help.</HTML>

Posted by: Ben in Maine (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2005 08:16PM

<HTML> Hi Pat,,,We may be gettin closer,,,I found a 1913 Apelco catalogue,,,in color,[cover],,,but sorry , no diagrams or tech info,,,,Will keep looking,, Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2005 12:59AM

<HTML>Hi Pat,
Arnoud Carp in Holland fitted one of those ON/OFF type cutouts to his 735 recently, not sure what type generator he is using, but might be worth emailing, he has posted on this forum so you sould be able to make contact, if not email me and I will pass his email address on to you, Jeff.</HTML>

Date: December 29, 2005 03:19AM

<HTML> Arnoud got a hold of me. He sorted out the four terminals except for the battery and the generator wires he wasn't sure which was which. With it that close, I will give it a try. For anyone else, this is what he said:"...from under the hood, the top right hand connection is grounded, the bottom left is not connected, and the remaining two are connected to the battery positive and to the generator...you will have to work out which wire goes where. Thank you everyone. :-)</HTML>

Date: December 29, 2005 12:10PM

<HTML>Hi Pat ,,Can you see the other side of the instrament ?? the wires to the cutout should be the clew,,,If you can ,, post a pic of it and i"ll see what I can see,,,,I will see Dave over the weekend and can see what he says,,Sooo close,,don't fry it now,,,All the best,,,Ben</HTML>

Date: December 29, 2005 02:30PM

<HTML>Dear Ben, We have it down to the two last terminals and they both carry 6 volts positive. Neither is a ground so it wouldn't fry if the wires were reversed. Either it will work or it will not work. The cover easily comes off so I will take an educated guess before putting the juice to it. I will work on it today and let you know. You are right about one thing though, the Apelco on/off gauge is irreplaceable.</HTML>

Posted by: John Buscher (IP Logged)
Date: December 29, 2005 07:01PM

<HTML>Pat,
I have emailed a 1917 (728) wiring diagram to JW along with a sketch of the terminals of the Appel cutout showing where B & G are connected.

The Appel indicator works the same as any other cutout relay with a 12 ohm voltage coil which closes contacts connecting the battery to generator output when generator voltage exceeds battery volts. At the same time a pair of contacts open so the voltage coil is disconnected while the battery is being charged.

Thanks to Ed & Charles Erler for the diagram.

John Buscher</HTML>

Date: December 29, 2005 08:42PM

<HTML>Hi,,When the voltage of the generator goes below the battery voltage,,,A counter wound [winding] cancels the magnetism of the spool, to allow the points to open,,,,this was used almost,,,,ALMOST from earliest time,,,BUT I do know that the 1913 American Underslung [R,M,BLOOD'S car ] did not have this coil,,,,also when it cut out,,it would NOT charge again on that run til the starting latch was pulled,wow,,,,,,The 1913 stuff is so much fun,,I love it,,Now why in the world would anyone want to put electricty in a steamer,,,GrrrR or for that matter,,JUCE brakes ,, Pat,,when you get this sorted out,,please snail M' me a diagram ,, noting sources and any year differences and I'LL put it in that 1913 book ,,Someone may smile in the next generation,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Date: December 30, 2005 10:59AM

<HTML>I just got the straight scoop from John. The upper left is not used, the upper right is battery, the lower right is ground (negative), and the lower left is Generator (positive). Time to rewire it correctly. The Apple Electric Company name is shortened up to APELCO. They are still in business today. Thank you very much John.</HTML>

Posted by: Arnoud Carp (IP Logged)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:04PM

<HTML>Hi Pat,
To be positive I have to see my car that is currently about 100 miles away from home. But I think the following will help:
there are two coils one with thin wire and one with thick wire the terminal that is common to both should be connected to the generator. the other terminal is the remote side of the switch this shoud be isolaterd from all other terminals as long as the relay is not activated this goes to the battery positive.
Looking at the relay I cant see much can go wrong if the terminals are connected the wrong way round. one snag about using a three brush generator is that it needs the battery voltage in order to regulate the chare current. this means that faulty battery connections can result in over exiting the generator causing blown bulbs and even short circuit where the overvoltage will jump the aged insulation.
Hope this helps
Arnoud Carp</HTML>

Date: January 04, 2006 10:14PM

<HTML>We put 42 miles on the Stanley today and the Apelco ON/OFF charge indicator is working excellent. Thank you John for your help.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.