SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
33x4 clincher tires
Posted by: monty page (IP Logged)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:55PM

<HTML>Does anyone know of a source for 33x4 clincher tires? Even decent used would be OK, since I'm now down to 3 tires.

Thanks, Monty Page</HTML>

Re: 33x4 clincher tires
Posted by: SSsssteaamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2006 06:11AM

<HTML>Monty, Our good steam friend, Stan Lucas sells the 33X4 tire in both Universal and Lester. His ad says that they sell over 60 different models. Telephone Lucas tire at 1-800-952-4333</HTML>

Posted by: ben (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2006 11:40AM

<HTML>OOOps,,,but are these clincher or straight side,,??? Watch for a listing of British Dunlop,,or Michiln,,They have a good line of early style sizes ,,Happy hunting,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: SSsssteaamer (IP Logged)
Date: March 23, 2006 03:26PM

<HTML>Ben, Stan Lucas didn't say whether his 33 X 4 tire was clincher or straight sided in his ad (probably straight sided). He has many warehouses full of discontinued tire sizes and if you can get someone there to look for you, I feel confident that the 33X4 will be found somewhere on his tire racks. Universal tire is also another tire dealer that I have bought clincher tires from when no one else had any. If you can convert the tire size to metric, there are many European metric tire sizes on the market too. With clincher tires, often I have seen where a size bigger or smaller has been stretched over the clincher rim and has worked successfully. For our new tires on our 1909 Stanley model R, (36X3 1/2) I would swear that they were 3" too small when I first tried to put them on. Laying them in the hot sunshine to get them pliable and using a lot of muscle, they soon were able to fit. Universal Tire were the only people that had this odd tire size in stock for me. Monty, good luck in your tire search.</HTML>

Date: March 23, 2006 07:47PM

<HTML>Thanks, I called Lucas (again), and someone is checking in the warehouse. He also said something about European sizes, so something may work out there also. I'll let you know when I find out.</HTML>

Date: March 23, 2006 09:05PM

<HTML>Lucas is sending me 2 Dunlop tires, one NOS and one used, but not too used. The metric size converts to 24.8 inches, so they should go on my 25 inch rims. They're expensive, though - $475 and $415. If anyone else is looking, they've still got 4 very used (75% gone) - 2 black and 2 whitewall, I think he said about $200 each.

Thanks for the help.

Monty</HTML>

Posted by: Douglas Tomb (IP Logged)
Date: March 27, 2006 05:16PM

<HTML>My 1909 Buick uses 33 X 4 straight sided tires. I bought a new set (4), tires, tubes, flaps, from Universal Tire in Hershey Pennsylvania in 2003. I believe they are still available. Mine were about $170 each, plus or minus.

Several years ago I bought a set (4) of 37 X 4 / 36 X 3 1/2 clincher tires from Universal tire in Hershey (Fit a 29 inche clincher rim). I have not used them, they are still in the wrappers, and the intended project did not get off the ground, so they are available if anyone is interested. (I have the tubes and flaps to these too.)</HTML>

Re:36 3 1/2 - 37-4 tires
Posted by: Daryl Kendall (IP Logged)
Date: April 29, 2006 02:41AM

<HTML>Hi Doug, Are these tires whitewalls or black? Thanks Daryl</HTML>

Re:36 3 1/2 - 37-4 tires
Posted by: Doug Tomb (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2006 04:27PM

<HTML>Daryl, Sorry for the delay in getting back on this. My tires are black wall. Thanks, Doug.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.