SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
George Woodbury
Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2002 05:42PM

<HTML>Hi,
I recently purchased a copy of George Woodbury's book on his fixing up of a 1917 Stanley. I must say that it was quite a good read, entertaining and informative. I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to the car he restored and what became of Mr. Woodbury and his mill? I also bought a Stanley a few months ago, a 1918 that needs a bit of work, does anyone have a good source for packing for the valves and pumps and the specifications for the packing? Thanks, Eric</HTML>

Re: George Woodbury
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: April 17, 2002 07:13PM

<HTML> G Woodbury sold the car to Rev' Stanley Ellis / who also wrote a book,,,That first winter he didnt have space for the '17 and the 740 at the house so it was stored/ displayed at Lars Anderson Museum at Brookline Ma,,,,,[Now called Museum of Transport]] He had both for a while,,,,This was all before he had the H 5,,,or EX Ill let U guys pick it up from here,,,,About this time I got annoyed w/ the car guys that wanted trophys AND didnt know beans about cars,,,so I spent 20 y w/ motorcycles/ time well spent !!!! Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2002 08:33AM

<HTML>My father sold the car to Woddbury. In the book we are the Coates family living south of Boston. I met Mr. Woodbury when he came to the house and latter when my father took me to see the mill. He was a very interesting man. To the best of my knowlidge the mill still runs. The car, I believe is in the Buffalo, N.Y. area.

Valve packing can be obtained from Art Hart, Vintage Steam Products, 973-584-3319 or www.vintagesteamproducts.com I think it can be reached via links from this site.

What is the history of your car? Was it the one advertised in the Stanley Museum's publication?

Regards and good luck!</HTML>

Posted by: Howard Randall (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2002 08:56AM

<HTML>
Eric, correction, you asked about pump packing, not valve. Art Hart has this as well.</HTML>

Posted by: Eric Gleason (IP Logged)
Date: April 26, 2002 10:28PM

<HTML>Hi Howard,
Thanks for the information. I got the 1918 Stanley from Tennessee. It has sat for a few years so needs some work. I do not know much of the history of the car, I do know that at one time it was owned by L. Edward Pamphilon of Maryland who was active in the AACA in the 1950's. I would like to know more of the history, I wrote to the AACA but have not heard anything back yet. I tried Art Hart and he said he did not have the packing I needed so I will keep looking. I am kind of interested in George Woodbury, from his book he does sound like he was interesting. Thanks again, Eric.</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: July 19, 2002 10:11PM

<HTML>The last time I lived in the area (1974 or 1975) We went up to see the mill. There was a shopping mall across the road from George woodbury's house. We did finally find the mill in the back of the mall buildings, but it was long past working. It had been converted into a shoppe and you could buy little shelf things there.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.