SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Loco Boiler Generating Capacity
Posted by: Harry Hibler (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2002 02:09AM

<HTML>Don Bourner is building a 14" dia by 13" high boiler for Locomobile replica my father and I are building. Firing will be with an Ottaway burner and operating pressure will be 150 psi.

Does anyone out there know what the generating capacity (lbs/hr) is for this boiler/burner arrangement? We need this information to make a reasonable selection of a relief valve.

Lacking specific lbs/hr data, if anyone with empirical knowledge of satisfactory relief valve installation on a Locomobile could provide data on the valve, it would be appreciated.

Worst case scenario would be burner going full tilt & engine not running. In other words, relief valve passing maximum boiler generating capacity.

Harry Hibler</HTML>

Re: Loco Boiler Generating Capacity
Posted by: George K. Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2002 02:15PM

<HTML>Harry,
Generally speaking you can expect about 70-80# of steam for every gallon of fuel burned per hour. The size of the boiler may represent 6-8 horsepower(if superheated and engine has short cutoff) and maybe 150#/hr steam output, that would be with a 2GPH fuel firing rate, boiler efficiency about 75-80%. These are theoretical numbers, possibly someone who has one could better inform you of the actual parameters.
Best, George</HTML>

Re: Loco Boiler /oops
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: May 05, 2002 09:17PM

<HTML>The Loco used no more than 40 -60 lbs fuel pressure,,,,I hope U plan a stronger tank than Loco or use a Stanley pump system,,,Loco didnt use superheat to my knowledge,,,Just hadda' say something ,,, If only for the guys lookin 'n not talki'n dont want anybody gettin too far from the same page,,, Best ofluck 'n have fun ,,,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Dolan (IP Logged)
Date: June 24, 2002 09:03PM

<HTML>Hello Ben.I recently bought a Locomobile steam engine #5339 with Locomobile in raised letters on the valve cover.Do you have any idea where I can locate a drawing of the original boiler, and the feedpump.Alsoany idea of the lube system.I now run it on air and heavy lathe oil.In the vertical position I dont see any system at all,except for a spray.Any help that you can give will be appreciated.Mike</HTML>

Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: June 27, 2002 10:50AM

<HTML>US Patent 661,561, 13 Nov. 1900, describes the boiler used by Locomobile. I think this type was used for all their production. All the early cars used boilers 14 inches in diameter by 14 inches high containing 298 1/2 inch diameter copper tubes. Some later cars had larger boilers.
These boilers used thin seamless copper shells, wrapped with wire as described in the patent. I suggest using a steel shell if you intend actually driving the finished car.
Thanx to C. Benson for tracking down Stanley patents.</HTML>

Re: Loco Boiler Generating Capacity
Posted by: jhone (IP Logged)
Date: December 21, 2004 11:36AM

<HTML>to,harry

hiiiiiiiiii</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.