SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Gabriel #3 Snubbers
Posted by: Kobus van Jaarsveld (IP Logged)
Date: May 17, 2002 06:05PM

<HTML>
Our 1920 735 A is fitted with these at the front. The other day the strap on one of them broke off at the axle fastening point. On inspection I found the snubbers to be stiff and unyielding, which is probably the cause of the failure. I have now stripped both and can see that the innards have probably not seen the light of day for all of the 82 years that passed since they were made. I can replace the belting and the interleaved brass strap without difficulty, but I am unsure of the lubrication of these units. The inner coils of the strap/brass sandwich has the remains of some very thick black graphite grease on them.

I can find no reference to the maintenance of these in the literature I have. Is it advisable to apply some lubricant to the friction surfaces from time to time so they don't bind, or is assembly with graphite grease good enough for another 82 years? Thanks. Kobus.</HTML>

Re: Gabriel #3 Snubbers
Posted by: David K. Nergaard (IP Logged)
Date: May 18, 2002 09:50PM

<HTML>I have a copy of the Gabriel installation manual. It mentions graphite grease on the spring and its stud, but states that the strap should NOT be oiled in any way. The strap should be linen. Don't use any of the modern plastic fibers, as they may melt with the friction when working on a bumpy road.
If you have a source for the linen strap, please let me know. My snubbers need rebuilding too.</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: May 20, 2002 02:07PM

<HTML>Dear Kobus, In the "Stanley Factory Correspondence and Technical Information" binder, available from the Stanley Museum, the Gabriel Snubber has a couple pages of service information on it. It said to "lubricate the stud, coil spring and face of sleeve casting "B" well with graphite grease of good quality. Do not put any grease between coils of belting, except a little on the end of the belt where it is rivited to brass friction band "E"." Take good care of your Gabriel Snubbers. They are hard to find replacements for, and they do add to the riding pleasure of a Stanley.</HTML>

Posted by: ronald parola (IP Logged)
Date: May 24, 2002 11:57PM

<HTML>The belting for the snubbers is available from..Restoration Specialties, 814 467 9842, fax 814 467 5323. It's 1" or even up to 2" wide, price varies from $4 to $6.75. Yes the snubbers really do help the ride, but not enough for my wife's back. Schaffers automotive in Oregon has BEAUTIFUL repros of Hartford friction dampeners... a period aftermarket dampener and they do work better than the snubbers. Ron P</HTML>

Posted by: Paul Hillebrand (IP Logged)
Date: October 27, 2005 02:06AM

<HTML>I have a 1921 Ford Model "T" and it has on it Gabriel Snubbers. You stated that you had the installation manual on them. I was wondering if you will share with me where I could obtain a copy of it. I would like to over haul the snubbers but I don't have any information on how to. I am restoring the car and really need this information.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.