SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Global Warming & Steam Cars
Posted by: Peter Brow (IP Logged)
Date: June 13, 2002 02:24AM

<HTML>Friday, June 14th, 2002, at 9 pm Eastern/Pacific, 8 pm Central (USA), ABC-TV will air John Stossel's controversial show "Tampering With Nature". Check your local listings.

From Stossel's blurb:

==============

(snip)

Friday I look at that, and at the great Global Warming Scare. The media suggest almost all scientists agree with the dire predictions, but is that true?
You may have heard that 1,600 scientists signed a letter warning of "devastating consequences." But I bet you hadn't heard that 17,000 scientists signed a petition saying there's "no convincing evidence" that greenhouse gases will disrupt the Earth's climate.
Pat Michaels of the University of Virginia says scientists have an incentive to scare people.
"Let's imagine there's a Senate hearing. The senator who disburses the funds goes to the administrator of NASA and says, 'I've heard global warming is the most serious problem confronting mankind. Can your agency use another $2 billion a year to study this thing?' What's he going to say? 'No?'"
"So you exaggerate to get funds?" I ask.
"Yes," he replies.

(snip)

==================

This show is worth watching, whatever your opinion on the subject. This is of steam interest, as proposed "carbon taxes" and CO2-related government policies may influence our fuel (and automotive powerplant) options in the future.

Peter</HTML>

Re: Global Warming &amp; Steam Cars
Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: June 14, 2002 10:42AM

<HTML>Peter,
You are so right about the great number of scientists that disagree with the environmentalists global warming fanatics. One Mount Pinatubo added more pollution and global warming effect than the entire human race in the last 100 years!! There is much other evidence that global warming/cooling has been cyclical for as far back as they can get evidence of such changes. Thanks for the note on the show tonight.
George</HTML>

Re: Global Warming &amp; Steam Cars
Posted by: tom ward (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2002 10:43AM

<HTML>I am convinced that the release of fossil carbon into the atmoshere is causing global warming. The question that remains is : Is it really such a bad thing? Change is inescapleable. In this situation we have the next several decades to adapt to the change. I am presently preparing for the rise in sea level by looking for land thousands of feet above sea level. By buying land now my heirs will be fabulously wealthy as the millions in florida and california try to escape the worsening storms and flooding that the insurance industry will refuse to issue policies against. $$$
There is also the Waterworld option. Those in the know about steamboats (and their multi-fuel capabilities) can simply rise with the tide and ride out the storms out at sea.
The other predicted consequences such as tropical species migrating north bring tropical diseases with them may make the wealthy nations get serious about finding cures for malaria and other ailments the billions of the world's poor already suffer.
If the predictions are wrong my heirs will have wide open spaces to enjoy and billions more will be healthier, more productive, customers for steam vehicle producers.</HTML>

Global Warming &amp; My back
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2002 11:27AM

<HTML>My back still hurts from 00--01 WINTER FROM HELL Global warming,,,BRING IT ON,,,AN HURRAY so I can live long enuff to enjoy it,,,We got one half of our snow in MARCH ,,the count on down barns wasn't fully known to friends til around august as we got to hear from distant friends,, George had to park his car ,25 mi from the house ,at the roadside an'walk w/toboggan n' groceries to the house,,,,good for the heart, my foot,,,,,,,,GRRRRR BEN</HTML>

Re: Global Warming &amp; My back
Date: June 15, 2002 01:46PM

<HTML>Ben,
You had to remind me of the winter of 2000-2001!! 108" of snow and 48" of it in March. Paid big bucks to get a front end loader to dig out my driveway in February only to be snowed out again, oh well pulling the toboggan was good exercise as long as my nitroglycerine was on hand. There is no doubt that a miniscule amount of "global warming" is caused by our burning of fossil fuels, wonder how much more the fires in Colorado will add to it. Anyone that is environmentally "correct" should abhor our steam cars and steamboats, a Stanley has 6-8% thermal efficiency when running well and most steamboats half of that. My god what a waste of fuel!!! Get a sailboat or a sail and a skateboard/ a bicycle to get to work if one is serious about making a difference,
get off the electrical grid and please don't burn any fuel oil or wood in the winter to keep warm. As it says on the Statue of Liberty "your huddled masses yearning to be(breathe) free" is a better solution, animals huddle together all the time to share body heat. We could all become much more sociable during the winter by doing the same, of course the heating of water for showers would be strictly a waste of energy and prohibited. In my much younger years, at a party orgy, we tried to see how many of us could pile into a bed, believe about 20--now that I remember it it wasn't so bad as I had several females about me!!!
Cheers as you say, Ol' George</HTML>

Global Warming,snowball fight
Date: June 15, 2002 07:12PM

<HTML>Last year,,,+ 1 week,,,,the week before the 4th of July the local boys were considering going to the Portland Mall to have a snowball fight to celebrate the 4th,,,,they decided not to, NOT for lack of snow ,,,BUT it was hard ice like an' someone likely to get hit w/a iceball,,,,today temp45,,,time 4pm 15 june,,,Small maple fire in my soapstone stove,,,,,hi tec[1865] soapstone has 2x the thermal of iron,,,has this got any use in that thermal mass thing of last week? Cheers Ben,,,,,p/s Fraser gave me a soapstone footwarmer yesterday,,should I get worried yet/ cb</HTML>

Re: Global Warming,snowball fight
Posted by: HOWARD RANDALL (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2002 11:52AM

<HTML>Coburn,I too am glad my ancestors didn't throw out the long handled bed warmers and soap stone foot warmers. In fact, my mother just past them on to me and my siblings by specifically naming them in her will!

George, I hope you practiced safe "bundling" back then! Perhaps if we can help reverse global warming we could, faced with the returning cold, also restore morality by eliminating steamy (I had to get "steam" into my response to maintain interest!) relationships for young couples. We could bringing back bundling, an early New England practice of allowing boys and girls to share a bed (bundle) , fully clothed, under adult supervision, and often with a "bundling board" between them for extra protection.

We will have to give some thought to the logistics problems for the liberals created by having to distribute "bundling boards" instead of condoms in the public schools! This should be easy after we manage the logistics of introducing the modern steam car.

There is no end to what a modern steam car could do. Reverse global warming, restore morality! What next? Have board will travel. Anybody have a drill I could borrow?</HTML>

Re: Global Warming, Republican Issue?
Posted by: Dick Vennerbeck (IP Logged)
Date: June 17, 2002 02:08PM

<HTML> Last week Karen and I towed the SL Narragansett North through California to attend Don Menzer's Steamboat meet on Klamath Lake. The temperature tipped 102 degrees as we passed through Reading just South of Mt. Shasta. Saturday afternoon we experienced our first middle of June snowfall while out in the Narragansett on the Northeast shore of Klamath Lake. I'm not sure what's happening with Global Warming...but I'm going to blame the Republicans!</HTML>

Date: June 17, 2002 09:56PM

<HTML>Howard,
What size drill do you require---inquiring minds want to know!! Sorry you were not invited to our SACA/NE meet, absolutely wonderful. About 14 steam cars, Tony Gryzb's steambike, Bill Barnes wonderful Vanderbilt creation.
Make our next meet and I will bring a drill of specified size!!
I think the predominance of global warming is due to all the ever enlarging(excuse that word) number of people in Washington DC, both partys create great amounts of hot air, carbon dioxide and blathering;blathering greatly increases the carbon dioxide levels. I remember an old Wall Street Journal cartoon of two old timers saying if they could only put a glass dome over that whole political mess they could pipe hot air and send heat to the entire nation, the cartoon pictoral was very creative. There are more lawyers in Washington DC than all of Japan, the air conditioning bills in these "blathering" establishments must be formidable!! Hope you are not one of them ;>) .
Best, George</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Bennett (IP Logged)
Date: June 21, 2002 01:12PM

<HTML>Any idea where to get soapstone (steatite type) pellets? Bricks?

Thanks,
MB</HTML>

Date: June 21, 2002 03:02PM

<HTML>Woodstock Soapstone ,,,Airpark Road Box 37H ,,W,Lebanon NH 03784,,,,1-800-866-4344,,,,Stoves that work !!! foot warmers,,a piece to put in your boot to the moisture out,,, June sometimes have sales,,,Cheers Ben ,,,ps I am a very satisfied user,,old classic style of course,,cb</HTML>

<b>Re: wood stove look here </b>
Posted by: JW (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2002 05:36AM

<HTML>Look here => [www.woodstove.com]

JW

</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.