SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Inner tubes and tyres
Posted by: Tim Senior (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2002 07:56AM

<HTML>I've just put two new front tyres on my Stanley mod. 63 . My problem is that in driving about five miles I have pulled the valvestems (due to the tyre slipping I think) out of three inner tubes, all on the same wheel. What am I doing wrong? Will over inflating for a time help and what is the maximum safe pressure for a 30X3.5 inch four ply beaded tyre? No lube or any such stuff was used when fitting.</HTML>

Re: Inner tubes and tyres
Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2002 09:54AM

<HTML>You don't mention what pressure U have now,,,And are they side ring rims,,,Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Tim Senior (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2002 10:15AM

<HTML>Not side ring rims at 50 psi--- Tim.</HTML>

Posted by: C Benson (IP Logged)
Date: June 23, 2002 02:09PM

<HTML>Lets get some more input,,,I think 65# an' check the tire guage to see if its near correct,,at 50 I dont think it should be a problem,,, but 30x3.5 sounds small,,,hey Pat ,,,heads up,,,,whats your take on this,,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Posted by: Mike Clark (IP Logged)
Date: June 26, 2002 08:04PM

<HTML>Beaded edge 875x105 tyres on my Stanley H5 run fine at 75psi which is about the maximum according to tyre suppliers - they haven't turned yet but I keep a mark on tyre and rim to warn me.

We had trouble with tyres ripping valves out on another car with 710x90 beaded edge running at 55psi where the tyre fitter had used lube.

Michelin, in their fitting instructions recommend roughing up the inside of new rims or using rusty rims. Any soapy lubricant is absolutely detrimental -just use a bit of water for the last tight bit of bead. 50psi is the absolute minimum but check with the tyre manufacturer. In desperation it would be possible to stick the tyres with contact adhesive - this is done on off road motorcycle trials in the UK.

Mike Clark</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2002 01:32PM

<HTML>On our 1914 Stanley using 32 X 3 1/2 tires, 65 pounds is the time proven air pressure. 50 Pounds is not enough air in your tires and they are walking around the rim because of it. 60 to 65 pounds is the perfect air pressure for tire stability, and still giving you a cushion ride. Higher air pressures than 65 pounds can result in added casing damage from road hazards. The cars with an inner side ring on the rear wheels, owners have been tack welding the inner rings to the rim to keep them from slipping on the rim from the engine torque. I watched Brent Campbell's "Big Green" flatten both rear tires at the same time when he let a driver roll the throttle on too quickly. The valve stems went flying through the air like popcorn off a hot skillet. Tack welding his inner rings to the rims and a higher air pressure was his sure cure.</HTML>

Posted by: Pat Farrell (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2002 01:38PM

<HTML>Oh yes, ease your throttle on. Once you are rolling, then you can pin it. Broken axles, broken engine frame rods, ripped out valve stems, and other damage can result from sudden dumping of the throttle on. The steam engine developes maximum torque at zero RPM!</HTML>

Posted by: George Nutz (IP Logged)
Date: June 28, 2002 02:00PM

<HTML>Yup,
With 600psi on the steamchest the twenty horse engine in long cutoff has a starting torque of about 1800'# and the 30 horsepower in "Big Green" a torque of 3100'#, shortly after moving on the throttle and piping will reduce the steamchest pressure to a safe level, unless one has modidfied/opened up the Stanley throttle passage.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.