SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Broken Pump drive
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2007 04:49AM

We just returned from 3 days of touring in Canada with 40 pre 16 cars attending, four of them were steam cars. On the first day, Friday, we broke our pump drive on our Stanley Mt. Wagon. Driven off of the rear axle, it broke the pump drive rod with in 2 miles of driving on the tour. It also sheared off the eccentric's shaft from the driven gear, and it also broke up the aluminum pump drive housing's top half. This is the fourth time that this has happened in the last year. Each time that it has happened, the pump load had increased over the previous time with fewer miles traveled until destruction. I had eliminated the possibility of the problem being a weak pump drive rod by making a stronger rod. I had eliminated the possibility of too tight of packing by running the fresh packing extremely loose. I had eliminated any possibility of any misalignment or pump travel binding. I thought that I had eliminated any possibility of water line or check valve blockage between the pumps and the boiler. Each time that the pump drive had blown apart, it was costly, inconvenient, and destructive. Back at home, I made new parts as needed and then I returned to the tour for reassembly. Richard Roberts was there with his 1907 Stanley EX. We both tried our best to find the water line blockage. The boiler easily siphoned full as it cooled. It easily hand pumped full again, even refilled as we turned the right rear wheel by hand. I took apart the boiler's feed water check valve and except for not having the original cap on it, it looked like the check ball was not binding. Richard said "take a look at this." The loose check ball had beaten the cap for additional clearance and then it beat a new seat in the out flow of the check valve body. When under way on the road, there was enough water volume that the check ball was flushed from it's seat and it found it's way to block the out flow from the check valve. Suspecting a bad boiler feed water check valve from the start, I had brought a spare check valve from home. By 11 PM Friday night, everything was back together again for a successful fix. The Mountain Wagon carried passengers for the two following days of the tour with excellent form. The pumps are now quieter while pumping than when they are being by-passed. It sure feels good to have it reliable again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 05:51AM by SSsssteamer.

Re: Broken Pump drive
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2007 10:59AM

Hi Pat,,,If I recall correctly,,Amsley and Marshall had problems on the big car on the cross country run, [written ip in Bulb Horn I think]] ,the boiler feed tube that extends down in the boiler, clogged every few days w/the lime water in the midwest,,that is what the plug on top of fitting is for, a long drill,,I wonder if its worth wile to put a guage in the pump line,,,OOOPS , there I go adding complication ,, That is an interesting problem you had,,glad its fixed,,,,Cheers Ben

Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: July 16, 2007 01:37PM

Dear Ben,The feedwater down tube in the boiler is the first thing that I checked for blockage. What I think was interesting is that when the water was by passed manually and the water level was also low, the water level automatic which should have been stopping the by-pass of water, by-passed the water anyway. Probably why is because of the water hamering in excess of 1,000# exceeded the spring resistance of the water automatic. Attached is a photo of our passengers (our grand kids and parents), all having a good time. SSsssteamer

Attachments: 2007 Canadian Tour 002.jpg (103.1KB)  
Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: July 17, 2007 12:16AM

Hi Pat,,,My memory is poor on this,,,but seems like I recall someone saying that pressure could reach as much as 1800# ,,so it is something to consider,,tho I think the long stroke pumps should not be plagued by this as much,,,Glad the fun making machine is back in a playful mood,,,,Cheers Ben

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.