SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
High price for a Stanley
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: August 26, 2007 12:40AM

Today, Aug 25th, 2007, I just returned from an auction in Woodland, Washington. The 1919 Stanley 735B 7 passenger touring with wire wheels, Vee condensor, perfect original upholstery, frame off restoration 25 years ago, driven less than 100 miles since, just sold to John Kieper of Oregon for $145,000. There were three strong bidders that drove the price up. See the attached photo of the 735B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2007 03:11PM by SSsssteamer.

Attachments: Stanley%20Steamer%20Car%202.jpg (135.5KB)  
Re: High price for a Stanley
Date: August 26, 2007 03:58PM

More auction: A Locomobile type steam engine that had been through a flood and was rusted solid, and was missing the cross head slides, went for $1,600.
The White model O steam engine went for $4,500. My next bid would have been $5,000. I could have bought it at that for myself but I didn't know if that would even have been money enough to purchase it. It along with about 30% of the auction items went to Europe. Containers nearby were being filled for export.
The Stanley engine (735) with rear axle housing attached and cut off axles, went for $6,000. It was stuck also but I suspect that it was good inside as at one time in history, it was being ran on air as the air chuck was still attached.
The Bryan tractor steam engine I purchased for $4,000. Rusted solid but it probably may be just the piston valves that are stuck. Hardly anyone at the auction knew what it was used for.
I purchased three White steamer gauges for $275 each and a noncondensing 1,000# Stanley gauge for $200. (wrong bezel and no needle, no plating left on it's face or housing.)
The 1910 Rambler touring in about #3 condition went for $130,000.
The 1919 Stanley 735B in about #2 to #1 condition sold for $145,000. A good cleaning could have put it into #1 condition.

I also picked up a winker, 1912 WA home made license plate, and I also picked up a 1920 WA porcelain license plate that is in mint condition.
It was a long week end but it was worth it.
I should have bid one more time on the White engine. It looked to be really nice inside.

Posted by: Ben (IP Logged)
Date: August 27, 2007 11:09AM

Hmmm,,,1919 doors open from the front,,,,and 1920 open from the rear,,,haddnt noticed that before,,Are the closed cars the same??,,,Thanks for that post Pat,,,,Chees Ben

Date: August 27, 2007 03:22PM

Dear Ben, As far as I can find, all sedan doors openned from the rear. Up through 1918, the tourings did not have outside door handles. Most all 1919 Stanleys had outside door handles. In 1919, by serial number nothing is consistent. The doors openned from both front and rear, and then rear only, and then back again. Changed with each car they built. By 1920, they settled for openning from rear only. Go to [www.stanleyregister.net] to see the variety by serial number.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.