SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
735 Dynamo Turning Speed
Posted by: tlaferriere (IP Logged)
Date: April 07, 2008 10:17PM

Hi all, this is my first post.

My 735 Stanley did not have a generator when I got it. I am converting to 12 volt and installing an alternator. I am trying to understand the direct drive speed if I install directly (as original) or rig up a pully system to be sure I get the alternator spinning fast enough. Hope this made sense. Will diret drive with an alternator spin fast enough to charge. Any comments on this?

Thanks,
Tom Laferriere
1920 Stanley Classis with a 1916 Woods Electric Body---ready to light off this week!

Re: 735 Dynamo Turning Speed
Posted by: Jeff Theobald (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2008 08:12AM

Hi Tom,

I did fit an alternator to my Brooks Steamer (same set up as a Stanley) The ratio was 12 X 56 and the car is on 32 X 4.5 tyres, it would start to generate at about 12mph and at 20mph the battery would still be receiving a charge with all the lights on, it was very good until the fibre pinion fail under the extra load, the noise and shock through the car of bits of fibre teeth going through the main gear chain was not something I want to hear again, hence the old dynamo is back in place.

I check at the beginning of each year how long a fully charged battery will keep all the lights operating usually about five hours, this gives me a good idea of how long I can stay out at night, hope this helps, all the best, Jeff.

Re: 735 Dynamo Turning Speed
Posted by: ron parola (IP Logged)
Date: April 12, 2008 04:27AM

My 740 was missing the generator so I took the opportunity to install a GM 63amp alternator. At the same time I made a brass drive gear for it. The gear is a bit noisy so I had a phenolic one made ( let's see how it holds up). Anyway with 33x5 tyres the charge rate comes on about 18 mph. If you cut off the mounts on the alternator it does fit nicely into the 740's cradle. Things to be aware of; you need a shunt around the ammeter (if you keep the stock one) to keep the amperage through the guage down; full deflection now isn't 20a but 60, and you need a switch to turn the alternator on; one on the throttle shaft would do, it just needs to supply B+ momentarily to excite the alt, once it's on the regulator would latch on. You can set the switch to operate only at full throttle say. Or you can use a circuit to read the road speed and turn on the alt above the minimum speed needed. For the GM internally regulated alt you can buy a one wire kit (Summit sells them) but it needs a higher alt speed to turn on And after sitting a long time you may need to excite the alt manually anyway. Cheers Ron P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.