SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
1901 Stanhope Steamer Info
Posted by: Lyle Wescott (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2002 01:39PM

<HTML>My friend is building a 1901 Stanhope Steamer. He would like any Info available, Pictures, Diagrams, Etc. He especially needs info on the boiler. He has built the frame from a small picture he found in an old magazine. My friend will be 89 years young in October, but he does not play with computers, hence my asking for him. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.</HTML>

Re: 1901 Stanhope Steamer Info
Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2002 02:13PM

<HTML>I have been helping Russ Hibler, also in his late 80's, from time to time while he and his son Harry are building 2 buggy's of that vintage. Russ has a book that he got from the Stanley Museum that has been very useful. Can't remember the name or author though. But if you called the museum, I'm pretty sure they could help.</HTML>

Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2002 05:20PM

<HTML>I think this is the book:

The Genealogy of the Locomobile Steam Carriage, 1899-1904, by Donald L. Ball. Brief history of the car with appendix of reprinted Locomobile catalogue offerings with specifications of all model styles. 55 pages, 64 photographs, soft cover - $8; signed, $10.

Get from the Stanley Museum at:

[www.stanleymuseum.org];

Posted by: Harry Hibler (IP Logged)
Date: July 25, 2002 04:15AM

<HTML>Stanley boilers are manufactured Bourdon Boiler Works. Contact Don Bourdon at King Farm, Woodstock, VT 05091. Home (802)457-3787
Office (802)457-3188

The 6-1/2 HP, 14 inch diameter, boiler is $1,750 FOB Woodstock. Delivery depends on how busy Don is on the farm and if he is attending steam car tours.

Best place to buy springs is from the Amish buggy makers. Whitmer Coach Shop, 1070 W. Main St., New Holland, PA 17557. (717)656-3411

If you need Ottaway burner plans let me know and I can provide.

Harry</HTML>

Posted by: HOWARD RANDALL (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2002 10:44AM

<HTML>Lyle, I am working on a 1902 Locomobile and have some of the details you may need as well as photos. The boiler in the car I am working on has a reproduction riveted boiler and an original burner, sans pilot.

I would suggest a Stanley style boiler and burner with pilot and consider the Ottoway design for the latter.

Provide ground mail address and e-mail, and I will send what I have.

Do you have / need an engine?

Regards, Howard Randall steamin-yankee@att.net</HTML>

Posted by: HOWARD RANDALL (IP Logged)
Date: August 06, 2002 10:50AM

<HTML>Harry, I would like a copy of the Ottoway plans. Is there any cost?

E-mail me at steamin-yankee@att.net

Thanks</HTML>

Re: 1901 Dainger lirks
Posted by: c benson (IP Logged)
Date: October 08, 2002 12:09PM

<HTML>Hi Howard,,,Do I assume the shell doesnt have wire winding,,,If not Do be careful,,,,,and stay about a mile or 2 away,,,,DONT even THINK of Stanley's HIGH pressure The high pressure was developed as a part of the wire winding !!Tho the early shells were COPPER an rivited on tube sheets,,,THEY WERE LOWER pressure design,,,,,,okok I know U know,,,I just hadd'a post this for the others that dont usually reply,,,,,Cheers Ben</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.