SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
2 Stroke Diesel
Posted by: Mike Bennett (IP Logged)
Date: July 26, 2002 05:45PM

<HTML>Has anyone ever converted a two-stroke diesel engine to steam? After tearing into a 3-71, I was supprised (happily) to see the the engine is almost a backwards uniflow. There are many versions of this design including some of very large displacement. Any and all info on this conversion would be appreciated.
Thanks,
MB</HTML>

Re: 2 Stroke Diesel
Posted by: Terry Williams (IP Logged)
Date: July 26, 2002 05:53PM

<HTML>Well, I'll get this started. the Brobeck steam bus was based on a 2 stroke diesel but not the type conversion you are probably thinking of. If we can get Greaeme Vagg in the forum, he can tell you a lot about the conversion of a Lilster diesel engine to steam for the White Cliffs solar project in Australia. You might try a web search on this one. It used bash valves. I think the SES or one of those projects was based on a diesel too. And I'm sure there are others.</HTML>

Posted by: Mark Stacey (IP Logged)
Date: July 26, 2002 09:32PM

<HTML>The url to an extract from the White Cliffs Solar Steam project report and a link to purchase the full report is
[membres.lycos.fr]

Lots of detail on the solar collector, steam generator and engine system.
The engine apparently ran well once the correct materials and design for the piston operated bash valves were developed.
According to the engine technician the worst failure occured when one of the cylinders failed as the other two working cylinders just keep running and rapidly beat the engine into scrap. Other comments were the inlet valves were optimised for a set rpm and the engine when running required earmuffs to be used in the engine room.

I have obtained an older G M 6.71 piston and sleeve with the idea of turning this premade ported unit flow cylinder and all cast iron trunk piston into a small stationary unit. (I'm told newer G M 2 stroke pistons are an aluminum and iron combination)
It's sitting untill I have a few of the existing steam projects out of the way.

Cheers
Mark Stacey</HTML>

Posted by: Jim Crank (IP Logged)
Date: July 27, 2002 02:33PM

<HTML>Gentlemen,
Another good idea comes forth.
No reason why one cannot use the 53 and 71 series G.M. diesel engines with steam. Before the Lear hardware became available for the race car project, this is exactly what I was going to use and I laid out just such an engine.
A 3-71 aluminum block for the basis with a new cylinder head.
Removing the plates from the side of the block gives you a very large exhaust manifold area.
A new piston is not a bad idea, one with more rings on the bottom and a depressed area all the way around to catch water that would otherwise go into the crankcase, vented to the exhaust manifold.
Their racing and high output engines have enormous ports in the sleeves.
Or, you can use the existing piston as the crosshead with a new double acting set of cylinders on top; but this does make a very tall engine. OK for a boat; but perhaps not so swift for a car, unless you want to mount it sideways under some truck chassis like the S series Sentinel.
Broebeck used the crankshaft and connecting rods from a 6V-71 for the bus engine. Two connecting rods on each crosshead, because only one would not take the load when starting up, it would bend. His own crankcase.
A balanced poppet valve gear can be made with a new cylinder head, plus the fact that the engines have two cams means you can grind a new one as an auxiliary exhaust valve and get rid of the excessive compression a unaflow often develops. Unless you want to try the Williams ideas.
As a single acting engine, you will have to deal with the water in the crankcase problem. Solvable; but more hardware.
Anyhow, a good selection for a big engine, go for it.
Jim</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.