SteamGazette
1 Steam Cars :  Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
General Steam Car topics 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Production Specs
Posted by: BillB (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2012 01:41AM

The 1909 Model Z Is supposed to have 36x4 tires {28 rims} not 36x4 1/2 according to the 1909 catologs. Where did these Production specs come from?

Re: Production Specs
Posted by: SSsssteamer (IP Logged)
Date: February 22, 2012 04:15AM

I usually go with the Stanley season catalog specifications until I find specifications that are more acurate. Accurate as in an original unrestored Stanley that is still wearing its original wheels. Many specification errors are in the season catalogs. That is due to the fact that the season catalogs preceed the building of the cars. Another factor is the progression of improvements being made mid season to the cars being built. The added improvements didn't stand a chance of being found in the preceeding catalog anouncing that years car production. I just checked my 1909 Season Catalog and your model Z was not listed in it. I thought that it was strange not being listed. Nor was it listed in the 1910 Season Catalog either. Original factory corespondence will often give the specifications that one is looking for. Clarence Coons collected piles of this information during his lifetime. Hyde Ballard is also another one that spent years searching for this rare Stanley information. Then there are guys like Coburn Benson that were there when the Stanleys were still just second hand vehicles running around town. That is where much of our unlisted Stanley specifications come from.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.